Law Seminars International Presents: An Advanced Two-Day Conference on Cutting-Edge Developments in Merchant Strategies for Mobile Payments: New business models and associated legal issues.
Who Should Attend
Attorneys; business executives and managers in the retail, wireless, mobile device, applications development, technology, venture capital industries and financial institutions; business consultants and governmental officials
Why You Should Attend
Merchants are being asked to accept and support a dizzying range of mobile payment products as technology companies, financial institutions, carriers, issuers, investors, consumers and other merchants all jockey for a position and future in the emerging mobile payment arena. Contactless technologies, such as near-field communication and remote payment solutions that allow for more rapid or advanced checkout, and a range of value-added services and value propositions, are rushing to market.
The business models and associated legal issues for these offerings can be unique, complex, and the roles of the many players are evolving. Such programs implicate financial services and payment system regulation, privacy and data security, marketing, telecommunications regulation, consumer protection, and many other legal and regulatory issues with few settled answers.
Just as important, the need for close collaboration among companies with widely varying cultures and approaches to compliance calls for a deep appreciation of the constraints under which the various participants in a mobile payment ecosystem must operate. As important is the new reality that merchants are questioning or seeking change in the traditional allocation of risks in the payment methods arena, including compliance risks.
This conference will explore these issues with a focus on the merchant’s perspective and risks. Given the gateway position held by merchants, understanding merchant concerns will be of interest to all participants and we look forward to a robust discussion.
~ Andrew J. Lorentz, Esq., Steve Mott, and Holly K. Towle, Esq., Program Co-Chairs
What You Will Learn
- Who are the players and what are their technologies: A detailed look at mobile payments
- What lawyers need to start thinking about
- Mobile payments at point of sale: What should merchants be asking service providers
- What merchants need to know about coming changes in clearing and settlements
- Authentication: Card present vs. card not present
- How the key players in the mobile payments services ecosystem relate to each other
- Cellular carriers as essential players in the mobile payments services ecosystem
- Privacy and data security challenges in targeted advertising for mobile devices: Issues from transmission of the offer to completion of the payment transaction
- Practical tips for selecting or creating a mobile payments program that enhances your loyalty program
Information and Registration: Merchant Strategies for Mobile Payments